Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pate de Fruit with a Twist

This week I played around with fruit and creating candy with it.
With delicious applesauce and berries I whipped up some delightful pate de fruit, but I found it way too cloyingly sweet.  So I sprinkled it lightly with citric acid and then coated it with some sugar crystals, creating a healthier and tastier version of a sour patch kid that an adult can really go ga-ga over...and still give it to their kids knowing it isn't completely junky and bad for them.
I made an apple guava jelly (but the guava flavor seems to have faded in the cooking process - so maybe more guava, less apple, next time around).  I cut those into delightful little birds and bears and also into squares and rounds.

Then I made one with a bit of applesauce combined with blueberry and raspberry puree.  I made some of them in little dome molds and then put the rest in a tray to firm.  Cut some into squares and the rest into rings.  I just had to try to recreate the Joyva jelly ring.
After the little gems had "cured" exposed to air for a couple of days, I tested them.  With the citric acid and sugar they were so tart, tangy and fruity.
Then I did the chocolate test.  I had no idea if it would work.

I melted the chocolate and then gave them a beautiful, silky brown bath. Then I set them on wax paper to  firm up. They looked pretty authentic. Then, the taste test...
PERFECTION!

The chocolate was just bitter enough...the jelly just fruity and sweet enough...the tart hint of citric acid...
Absolutely the best jelly ring I have ever let melt in my mouth.
What a sweet treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment