Friday, October 5, 2012

Sweetie Pie

I have often wondered who coined the term "sweetie pie". I mean, I guess it makes sense, right? Pie is often sweet.  And sweetie pies generally melt our hearts, as would a scrumptious piece of pie.  And there are so many pies from which to choose, aren't there?

When I think about all of the pies I've eaten in my life, I can practically write a book.  I don't think I've ever met a pie I didn't like.  True, I've loved some and liked others.  But I can't recall trying a pie and not wanting to even take a second bite.

I have really become quite adept at crust making.  I love it when a crust turns out crisp, yet tender. Rich, yet light. Buttery and flaky and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.  But I've also discovered crusts that are crunchier, more robust, and very gratifying.  I have written about my raw pecan pie (and the wonderful help provided by my trusty young assistant).  This crust was so rustic and nutty and perfectly accompanied the sticky sweet date and pecan filling.  What a delightfully symbiotic duo.  And then there are those lightly sweet, slightly toasty, crumbly, graham cracker crusts that create a layer of texture under the creamy, nearly cloying, and often fruity or chocolaty cheesecake.


Whoopie pies are a delectable anomaly.  Are they really pies?  They seem more like cream filled soft sandwich cookies to me.  But I'll let them stay in the pie family.  I did manage to create some delightful chili chocolate whoopie pies filled with cayenne peanut butter cream.  They were the talk of the town (okay...more like a little buzz around the office).  They were not too sweet, rich but still feather-light, and they coated the tongue with velvety smoothness that I'll never forget.



And how can I exclude savory pies, like quiche or even the very un-pie-like Bajan delicacy, macaroni pie? The cheesiness, the spiciness, the oniony, peppery, warm and homey goodness. They are unparalleled. They put American mac and cheese to shame.

Here's another pie we all run to when we need comfort, have a ballgame to watch, want something quick and inexpensive...you know the one.  It's gotta be a pizza pie.  My choice would be a thin, slightly charred, delicate but sturdy crust with just the right amount of zesty sauce to season but NEVER dominate the milky, salty, oozy, generous coating of mozzarella (on occasion I like fresh, but comfort generally comes from the other stuff).  And I am a garlic powder, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese garnisher.  I also love anchovies on my pizza, but my little one would balk and beg for broccoli or mushrooms.  I won't turn them down, and I like her style.  She does sometimes opt for a plain pie, though.  And always asks for her sprinkly cheese.

Pies are the perfect food.  You have the crust, which becomes a bed for the most cozy, silky, creamy, crunchy, sweet, savory, cheesy, meaty, vegetably, ooey, gooey, happy-making fillings ever imagined.

And, for the record, here is what I found.  It is said that the term was first used in Sinclair Lewis's 1943 novel, Gideon Planish.  It was used as one would use the word sweetheart.

You know...I've got to agree.   The heart of a pie is definitely suh-weet.

No comments:

Post a Comment